Anthony Joshua continued with the bragging rights atop of the heavyweight division of Boxing after stopping the Russian star, Alexander Povetkin in the seventh round with a devastating knockout at Wembley Stadium, London over the weekend.
Both Fighters were given an earth shattering welcome into the ring by over 80,000 boxing fans, with Joshua being flanked by his WBA (Super), IBF, WBO and IBO titles.
The fight was a bit tough for both the fighters though 50 – 50 in the opening round, with each imposing on the other with crunching hooks and uppercuts. However, Anthony Joshua went to his jab in the second, but at several points was in danger of being clipped by Povetkin who was swinging big and hard up close and there was a moment when blood was seen seeping from Joshua’s nose. Joshua was on defense.
The fourth and fifth rounds followed a similar pattern of Povetkin on the hunt, with Joshua eating some painful shots patiently. However, the Brit changed the game pattern in the sixth round, landing two shots in quick succession onto the seemingly exhausted Russian, while dodging several dangerous uppercuts, which had the crowd excited.
Joshua Wraps it out
The seventh round ended it up all after Anthony Joshua floored Povetkin with a well connected right hook and several follow ups to the head. Though Povetkin climbed off the canvas, to come back into the fight, he was again put down moments later as Joshua delivered final rights to his temple. The referee rushed in to save the Russian and to stop the match. This is when Joshua put his streak back of winning all his Profession Boxing matches with a knock-out, retaining his world heavyweight titles.
The excited Joshua thanked his team and the fans for the win after revealing that Povetkin had been a very tough challenger.
“Povetkin is a very tough challenger and he proved it tonight. I realized he was strong to the head but weak to the body,….. Let’s see whats happening on April 13….. The sport is about what the fans want, let’s put a poll out on Twitter and see who fans want me to take on. I got my knockout streak back, I found my right hand again,” Said Anthony Joshua
Alexander Povetkin speaks out
The Russian admitted that he was ‘not surprised’ by Anthony Joshua’s victory though he also not sure about what went wrong since he had put up a stunning performance in the opening rounds.
“The fight was good, it was normal. I cannot say that I was surprised about Joshua…… It’s hard to say what went wrong, I wasn’t tired. I missed the blow….. He was simply stronger and so therefore it was probably going to be a knockout. According to the plan for the fight, we were pretty good, it worked. But something was probably done wrong. It’s hard to say.” Povetkin revealed moments later after the fight.
Who Next for Anthoy Joshua?
Joshua is expected to be back at Wembley on 13 April, and has the likes of WBC champion Deontay Wilder and British rivals Tyson Fury and Dillian Whyte who have been calling him out. However, fans want the three-belt world champion to face Wilder in a historic unification fight, and he also admitted that the American was his number one choice.
“The sport is about what the fans want, let’s put a poll out on Twitter and see who fans want me to take on… My number one would be Wilder, that’s it. I don’t want to talk about it anymore.” He said.
Meanwhile, while Joshua would prefer Wilder, his promoter Eddie Hearn conceded it was most likely going to be Whyte to in the ring with his fighter next.