English side Liverpool FC’s centre Back Virgil Van Dijk has seen off Messi and Ronaldo to win FIFA Men’s player of the year. This comes after after helping his side win the 2019 Champions League.
There aren’t many players who have beaten Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo to a top individual prize but the Virgil has been a colossus at the heart of the Liverpool defense and has grown into one of the world’s best since he joined from Southampton FC.
“I need to thank my teammates, without them I would not have achieved what I have achieved.. It has been a long road and it’s part of my journey. I’m very proud to get this trophy. It’s credit to everyone who has helped me.” The towering Dutchman said.
Women’s Player Awards
On the other side, England star Lucy Bronze has been named as UEFA’s Women’s Player of the Year.
The Lyon defender was one of the outstanding players at the 2019 Women’s World Cup. She beat off competition from France’s Amandine Henry and Lyon teammate Ada Hegerberg.
Champions League Draws
The two were named just after the Champions League draws for the 2019-20 season group stages being taken.
Chelsea and Tottenham were handed the trickiest draws of the four Premier League side with the former being drawn in Group H with Dutch side Ajax, Valencia of Spain and Ligue 1 side Lille.
Tottenham, runners-up in last season’s competition, are joined in Group B with German champions Bayern Munich, Greek side Olympiacos and Red Star Belgrade of Serbia.
Liverpool, the current European Cup holders were handed a favorable grouping of Napoli – whom they faced at this stage last season – Salzburg and Genk in Group E while Premier League champions Manchester City were dealt the kindest draw in Group C, taking on Shakhtar Donetsk, Dinamo Zagreb and Atalanta.
Here are the Champions League draws in full:
- Group A: Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid, Club Brugge, Galatasaray.
- Group B: Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur, Olympiakos, Red Star Belgrade.
- Group C: Manchester City, Shakhtar Donetsk, Dinamo Zagreb, Atalanta.
- Group D: Juventus, Atletico Madrid, Bayer Leverkusen, Lokomotiv Moscow.
- Group E: Liverpool, Napoli, Salzburg, Genk.
- Group F: Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, Inter Milan, Slavia Prague.
- Group G: Zenit St. Petersburg, Benfica, Lyon, RB Leipzig.
- Group H: Chelsea, Ajax, Valencia, Lille.